Masoor Pulao Kadhi
Bohri masoor pulao recipe (lentil rice) is one of the most go-to dishes cooked in the Bohri cuisine. It is often served in the mosque during a happy occasion. This pulao is served with Kadhi or Sarki (a refreshing traditional Bohra soup served with lentils). You can also add bhajiyas to the Kadhi and can grab more appreciations from the guest or house members.
Today we are going to make Masoor Pulao with Plain kadhi as this is the original version and I am going to show you a different style of kadhi with tomato puree. you can always make variations according to your taste buds like you can add bhajiyas to the kadhi, you can add meat to Masoor Pulao and you can also make plain sarki in the replacement of kadhi. You are your own Boss. Without wasting much of the time let’s see the step by step guide to make one of the famous Bohri recipes at home.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hr
Serves: 4 Person
Ingredients for Masoor Pulao: –
2 cups of soaked basmati rice
1 cup Soaked Masoor dal/brown lentil
1 large onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
½ cup crisp fried onions
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp red chili powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
4 green chilies, chopped
1 cup coriander leaves, chopped
¼ cup oil
3 tbsp. butter or ghee
1 cup beaten plain yogurt
Salt (to taste)
Ingredients for Kadhi: –
2 Cups of Yogurt
2 Grated Tomatoes or Puree
1 Chopped Onion
1 Tbsp. of Gram Flour (Besan)
2 Tbsp. of Ghee (Clarified Butter)
1/2 Black Mustard Seeds
½ tsp of Fenugreek seeds
½ tsp of Turmeric powder
1 tsp of Coriander Powder
Salt to taste
- Boil rice in 6 cups of water. Drain and keep aside.
- Boil the lentils in about 3-4 cups of water with 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp. oil. Separate the lentil stock from the boiled lentils. (Lentils should be 75% cooked) . Don’t throw the stock.
- Heat oil on medium heat and add onions. Fry until golden brown.
- Once the onion is brown, add ginger garlic paste, chopped tomatoes and green chilies. Cook for 3 mins.
- Now add the turmeric, red chili powder, cumin and coriander powder, garam masala, chopped cilantro, ¼ cup Lentil Stock and cook till the fat starts to separate from the mixture.
- Then add the boiled lentils, yogurt, half of the fried onions and salt and mix well.
- In another pot, grease the bottom with 1 tbsp. butter and add a very thin layer of rice.
- Next, layer the lentil mixture and cover this with the remaining rice.
- Sprinkle the top of the rice the fried onions and 2 tbsp. butter.
- Cover with lid tight and let it cook on very low heat for 20 mins.
- Till then will make Kadhi, so put a pot on medium flame and add 2 Tbsp. of Ghee (Clarified Butter) and add mustard seeds and Fenugreek Seeds. Now add Curry leaves.
- Add Onions and fry a bit. Add Turmeric powder and coriander powder and Green chilies and mix.
- Add the tomatoes and fry until oil ooze out.
- Now mix Gram flour and yogurt and Add the mixture to the pot and mix well.
- Add water according to your wish of consistency. Adjust Salt
- Now serve hot Kadhi and Masoor Pulao with garnishing of Chopped Coriander leaves and fried onions.
Tips by Nisrin
You can always use butter milk instead of curd for Kadhi.
If you are adding Bhajiyas to the kadhi than make sure your kadhi is thin, because after adding bhajiyas , Kadhi will be thickened.
If you are adding meat to the Pulao than boil the meat with Masoor (Lentils)
Try to keep Masoor (Masala) with little gravy. It will give good texture to the pulao. Also keep the Masoor masala bit spicy as later on it has to go with plain rice.